Friday, December 14, 2012

Book Review: Read and Believe

     Bethany House has blessed me with a complimentary copy of Real Life, Real Miracles: True Stories That Will Help You Believe.  The news is filled with tragedy day after day. Many wonder where God is when atrocities occur. God is in the here-and-now. He didn't use up all His powers in times of old. In Real Life, Real Miracles authors James L. Garlow and Keith Wall want the reader to be encouraged as they read glimpses of God's presence in the lives of ordinary people. They introduce people who have been miraculously healed, assisted and protected. These encounters will fill you with hope and possibly open you up to divine encounters.
     The pages are filled with people facing desperate situations and trying circumstances. Many want to give up their will to live or lose their hope to heal. In their times of need, often at the crux of the unfolding drama, His light infiltrates the darkness and hope abounds. Some would say these moments are mere coincidences or chance encounters, however, these human beings will refute that and claim to know the Divine. Miracles are more than fortunate moments of chance, fate or luck, they are encounters with God, his presence and intervention. They are reason-defying, unfathomable-but-true events that only lend credence to His glory.
     At some points my analytical side wanted to investigate and calculate some of the stories. Yet, as I reminded myself of the nature of faith,  I was in awe at what God does in the midst of our current time. Every day is filled with heartache and yet, every day is filled with miracles great and small. Not all miracles are going to be world renowned, especially since many are quick to scoff at such thingsIn Real Life, Real Miracles Garlow and Wall taught me not to always pass by the little nuances of life that may hold supernatural significance. The spiritual world may not be tangible at all times, but when God does allow the supernatural to touch down on earth I want to make sure my eyes are open and my heart is engaged enough to recognize His still, small voice.
     The stories in Real Life, Real Miracles are of people who either had their eyes open to see the miracle before them or eyes that were opened in hindsight of their miracle. I couldn't count the number of times I shook my head in awe within its 257 pages. Every story kept my attention and made me wonder at the grand love, infinite grace and awesomeness of our God. This book is inspiring, enlightening and a joy to read. Garlow and Hall will reaffirm, strengthen or bring you to faith. This volume will leave the reader knowing only God can intervene and give one a real miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment