Monday, March 25, 2013

Heard in the Silence

     Sometimes when I intentionally seek God, I find Him to be silent. Well, or so I thought. In Matthew 7:8 I find encouragement. "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." I went and sat beneath the glistening sky waiting to hear something, anything. I simply wanted validation that I was where I was suppose to be, doing what I needed to. I wanted to hear the Lord's voice, thunderous and booming. Instead, I perceived dark silence. God couldn't possibly be giving me the cold shoulder, could He? So, I sat gazing at His glory. Psalm 19:1, "The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork." His glory was speaking, I just wasn't listening closely or paying attention.
     The day had worn on me and I was exhausted. There weren't any lightning bolt moments beheld as I looked up. The earth didn't shake. The trees hardly quivered. The day's warmth still hung on to a perfect night, further crowned by a bright and captivating moon. Slowly, yet ever surely, His presence was felt. His presence was heard in the faint tweets of distant birds, babies I suspect. God knew what I needed: rest, His rest. Psalm 37:7 invites us. "Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him." The day's chaos and noise slowed with the setting of the sun. Now, I was enjoying the silence. The day drained from my body as the warmth of the Lord's love tenderly embraced me flowing into my veins.
     I wonder if I look for too much at times? Maybe, I want too much when much has already been given. It is all too easy to miss what is in front of us. Just as I watched Jupiter dip into the horizon gifts and blessings can slip out of view all too soon. Who knows, a shooting star could have soared across the denim sky while I was looking in the wrong direction.
     The blessings in life are ours if we open are hearts to receive them. When the world's cares take precedence it clouds our vision to an otherwise brilliant sky. He saw me through the day. Matthew 6:34 advises, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." God reminded me then He is always there, in the rush of day or the calm of night, He is there. It is up to us to ask, seek and knock for Him to answer, be found and open the door. Tomorrow as the sun rises and a new day emerges from the horizon we will find Him present, mighty and good, for He is Lord of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment