Monday, July 29, 2013

Capturing the Moment for His Glory

     Every time I feel like things are settling, it seems God stirs things up. It can be little things or the large looming clouds that pour out but, it is always unexpected. Really by now, I would imagine I would know God's ways. Then again, if that was the case my God wouldn't be nearly as big as He truly is. I love Isaiah 55:8-9 for just this very reason. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." God is so immense and glorious I will never know and understand all of His ways. That is a good thing.
     However, it is hard to wait upon Him at times. Let's face it, we are not born patient. Just when I think I have patience nailed down, a situation arises and all of my patience is thrown to the wind and I am on pins and needles. And that is when Isaiah 46:10 works its way into my heart. "He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
     The first half of this verse is often quoted.  I do have to be still and listen for His voice. The second half is just as reassuring to me. It is in knowing that it is God who is to be exalted and lifted up, not me. So, all my impatience is a vain attempt to lift my own wants up. God knows what is best for me and how I work into His plan. If He wants me to wait for events to unfold as He sees fit that bodes well for me. He is an omnipotent, omniscient God. It is in accepting my place in humility and acknowledging Christ as Lord that my soul finds rest.
     I wonder how many times impatience has dampened my mood. How many minutes have been misused because I was caught up in selfishness? Oh, there are many moments I wish I could redeem and use them for His glory. When we exalt our Lord finding rest, we will find joy. Our hearts will be calmed in the storm and we can savor the moment for what God created it to be. Just as every moment has potential, we do too. Yet, if we are wasting the moment, are we not wasting our potential as well to  become the full creations He has so tenderly cared for? That is a sobering question to ponder.
    There is nothing more that I want to do but, live for my Lord praising Him for all He is. We can praise Him as we rise and welcome His tender mercies (see Lamentations 3:22-23). As we live out each moment, we can breathe out small prayers and thanksgiving. We can love others as He loves us without hindrance, just pure love flowing out of our very being. Finally, as we lay our heads upon our pillows we can thank God for carrying us through another day and letting us breathe another breath. Every breath is a gift even if we don't know yet the potential it may unleash. In turn, we can live each moment as an offering to God.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment