Sunday, June 13, 2010

Done with Diapers

I'm not one to rush into things, particularly potty training. Many parents I'm sure don't agree with me and that's fine. I prefer to let things happen with a bit of a loving, parental push. My eldest boy seemed to do things at his own pace just fine. My daughter has followed in his footsteps. I have taken that tactic for my youngest as well.
    Sometimes it's harder to let things happen in due time when your patience is wearing thin. Every time I pick up a pack of diapers up at the store that scrapes at the patience.  I just never wanted my children to have any negative feelings concerning restroom use.
    This past Tuesday, as we are gearing up for Jacob's birthday party, we(my hubby and I) decided to give him that push into independence. No more diapers, except at night. Well, Jacob is having a few accidents, but is already sleeping through the night wearing underwear without accidents.  The poo situation is where the accidents are occurring.  Completely grossed out.
    Let me say this for the naysayers.  I never wanted to push Jacob too hard with the training. He is asthmatic and has been hospitalized six times in the last two-and-a-half years. His health was and still is our top priority. Adding another unnecessary battle to the home front wasn't something to even consider.
    In addition to that, I think as a society at large we tend to try to push our kids to independence way too fast. God blesses us with helpless, little bundles of joy for a reason. We are to bless them with our love creating a bond that will last an eternity.  God, our Heavenly Father, never leaves us nor forsakes us (Heb 13:5).  He is always there letting us take our baby steps along the way. I want to apply those same parenting principles God uses with us to my children,(His other children). 
    I'm not against potty training at a younger age if that is what your family needs to do.  However, I remember an article a lady wrote concerning her twin boys.  "They aren't going to graduate high school in diapers."  That has really sustained my convictions in trying times.  Happy potty training endeavors to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment