Monday, October 18, 2010

Rebooting My Mind

    Everyday we go through trials of some sort, great or small. Most have heard the whole "mind over matter." However, I am thinking it is more like "soul over matter." The difference may be one word, yet it makes all the difference in your world. When you use your mind, you are relying on your own reasoning and not God's. Where as when we hand our problems over to God, His thinking takes over.  Isaiah 55:9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."
    Often I find that I still want control. Even though my heart and soul know without a doubt that God is mightier than little old me, my mind still pulls on the reins. Then after this tug-o-war goes on for sometime, I get tired and relent. My mind takes over and I end up sitting in my own wonderful puddle of muck. It's funny really. I get so frustrated for such a long time and then wonder what am I doing wrong.
    Really? Am I that into my own little self that I can't see what I am allowing to happen? Shame, o shame. How I hate thee.  Philippians 4:6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Then once I am in so deep I have nowhere to look but up. His embrace, His grace and love, they envelop me like a blanket on a cold, stormy night. My mind finds peace. He has calmed my storm.
    That's not to say my problem doesn't linger. It does, but in another way. Once I stop the crazy thinking and hand God my troubles, I find He takes control. Maybe He leads me to an appropriate Scripture or whispers one into my heart. Or a solution is found during prayer and meditation. God does truly provide. He does lead the way.
    Earlier I was praying. I asked God to help me reboot my mind. My brain gets so clogged up and tired that I can't think through things properly. I find distress and anxiety in my heart.
    It is like when your computer gets overloaded with information, tasks and commands, it gets tired and weary. What do you do? You reboot your computer. You give it a clean slate. That is what Jesus came to do for us. He gives us a clean slate, over and over. When we find ourselves overloaded we can pause and reboot. Pray and ask forgiveness. Let Christ purify your heart and mind.  Allow yourself to give Him your cares and anxieties. Then we can start up again and find His way in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment