Thursday, June 16, 2011

Book Review: A Read for the People

     I have been utterly delighted to read my complimentary copy of Be the People by Dr. Carol M. Swain, provided by BookSneeze on behalf of Thomas Nelson Publishing. In Be the People: A Call to Reclaim America's Faith & Promise, Dr. Swain reminds us that the United States was established by the founding fathers as a covenant nation. When our nation was established they held God in high-esteem and protected our freedom to worship our Lord. However, as society has turned the tide toward secularism, God has been left out of the picture with detrimental consequences. Dr. Swain gives a very startling picture of reality in the different spheres of society. She proposes different remedies to cure our ailing nation. 
     Where does that leave us? That is a question that has haunted me as I read Be the People. The  statistics involving abortion, racism and marriage are daunting, leaving me heartbroken. Dr. Swain wants to inform the reader with reality. If so many Americans call themselves Christians why are we in the abysmal state that we are in? Every American, Christian or not, needs to take action and at the very least, vote.
     I was amazed at the blatant lies that our media feeds us and the ideals that birthed some of our nation's social programs. Planned Parenthood was created by Margaret Sanger, whom held eugenic views and wanted to eventually "exterminate the Negro population." It's hard to imagine that a program has been covered so well with a blanket of love and care. How is abortion glossed over as loving and caring? I owe a big thank you to Dr. Swain for enlightening my mind. I am pro-life anyway, but it goes to show how blind our society is.
     Dr. Swain also gives an account of scant beginnings to her place of prominence in political and educational circles. She is black and calls herself so.  The reason I state that is I don't want to offend because I didn't call her African American, which is definitely part of the racism issue and labels that plague our nation. Swain is a refreshing breath of air, to voice her conservative and godly views of a nation in crisis. Racism is part of every citizen's life at one time or another. I have seen both sides of racism first hand. Being white in America can be difficult because I always am afraid that I will say something that isn't kosher in another's world view. I am married to a Mexican American and wonder how my fair-skinned children will fair. Most people see them as white and frankly I am proud of their heritage, even if some people have said their skin is "pasty."
      Dr. Swain speaks truthfully, which Christians are called to do. Some people may get upset, but isn't it time our country gets past labels and starts talking? We're all descended from the first people, so what good does it do to call one white or black, yellow or red? We are all God's created children, of course not everyone believes and not everyone wants to hear the truth.
     I enjoyed Be the People extensively. The subject matter is controversial and rather alarming. Some readers may find themselves disheartened, others may be even a bit angry and others may find themselves sitting at the edge of their seats wondering how they can jump into action. It is when we read a book and are moved to do something, when we can say with certainty, "that was a great book."
     Let me close this review with a quote from Be the People's Dr. Carol M. Swain herself. "With a concerted effort and a plan of action, we can help restore America to its former glory." As 2 Chronicles 7:14 reads, "If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

No comments:

Post a Comment