Saturday, August 24, 2013

Motherhood: Grace Desperately Needed

     I hope no mother has ever said motherhood was easy. There is no way you'll ever hear those words coming from my lips. In fact, my prayer last night went something like this. "Lord, please don't let me screw up this child." Not exactly the eloquent quote I wish I could claim. However, as blatantly raw and true to my emotions, that is where my heart laid.
     My youngest child is one of my greatest joys. Yet, he also has been the most challenging. Every mother needs one child who keeps the excitement going. My guess is our personalities (read: tempers) are a bit alike, probably more than I wish. He is quirky and witty, sweet and loving. He can also be ornery and difficult. Can't we all at one time or another? Time and time again, I find myself losing my temper, yelling, doing the monster-mommy thing, red-faced with those eyes that shoot daggers blazing afire. And those are the moments I live to regret with every ounce of my being. Here God has blessed me with my sweet, little guy and I turn that blessing on its head and breathe out frustration and anger.
     Every child, every precious gift of life on this earth deserves the chance to be nurtured and encouraged to become the image of God that they are. My reaction was anything but loving.Yes, they sin, as do I when I lose my cool. God doesn't scream at me when I mess up or have a fit. He shows me the grace that He is, the grace His love births. That same sweet grace is exactly what every child needs and craves when a mistake is made. It is what this mom desperately needed last night after a long, trying day.
     As I continued to pray, His sweet spirit embraced mine letting me breathe a little easier. God's mercies are new every morning and I can praise Him for that every evening. When we awake, we can rest assured that just as the sun rises and warms the earth, we can rest in the Son and allow his warmth into our hearts no matter how frigid yesterday may have seemed.
     This morning God used a complete stranger to encourage my heart. After watching the kids and I build a little project at Lowe's this woman walked up commending me for my patience with my kids. (Those are her words, not mine.) Of course, that is not always the case. Nonetheless, God was showing me that yes, I do mess up. But, in His grace and mercy my kids are growing and I am blessed to be a part of their story and His, too. There are going to be days where it takes another voice to point out what it is we are doing right as parents. So, this is my dare to you today and hereafter: Take the time to encourage another mother. No matter how pulled together she may seem, we have no idea what hurt or regret her heart is hiding. We have no idea what words may come when God gives us the chance to impart His love to others.

Prayer:
Lord,
I ask that You will open my eyes to the hearts of others. Provide opportunities for me to extend that same grace to my children and others that You have graciously extended to me. Give me words that will encourage and nurture. May I rest in knowing that You alone Lord are holy, mighty and good. Every day that I feel faint and weary remind me I can find rest and renewed strength in You. Father, help me be the best mother for my children and the best friend to other women that You want me to be. In Your Son's precious name, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Proverbs 16:24
Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.
 
John 1:16
And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.
 
Acts 20:32
So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment