Sunday, February 27, 2011

Book Review: Regret Free Read

       Over the past several months I have received complimentary copies of several books from BookSneeze on behalf of Thomas Nelson Publishing that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading. The latest book I received was Regret Free Parenting by Catherine Hickem, LCSW.  I was pleasantly surprised by this newest book on my shelf. Mrs. Hickem passes over the to-do list of parenting, instead opting to give you seven principles and guidelines in applying them as you raise your children. She gives a fresh insight into motherhood, being a proponent of "intentional mothering."
      I had heard of this concept before and completely agree. Mothering does not just happen as some mistakenly think. Mothering is a God-given responsibility that we have the duty and honor as mothers in carrying that out. Hickem guides the reader in an in-depth look at their parenting purpose. If we are to raise secure children we must build trust and give respect to them as little human beings.
       As I read Regret Free Parenting I became aware of what I have been doing correctly, though not in a black-and-white sense, but rather I recognized certain principles that I do carry out as a parent. I gained perspective of my children's preferences and our mother-child interactions as I never thought thoroughly about some things. My eldest son loves to call my name randomly throughout the day. I answer him wondering what he wants. He always says, "I just wanted to know where you were. Love you." Then he continues to play or continue in whatever current engagement he is involved in. Well, I never labeled that as my son wanting my presence.  I have always been there for my kids. In my life it is a given.
       I am certainly not a perfect parent. Mrs. Hickem highlighted some areas in my mind that I will give much more awareness to now that I see them. Regret Free Parenting is not a one-size fits all book. It is an all-inclusive approach book that you can tailor and apply to your life as you see fit. It won't make you a perfect mother overnight, but it will help you define yourself as a God-ordained mother and set you on a better path.

No comments:

Post a Comment