Monday, September 27, 2010

Sharing Lemons and God's Love

   As the saying goes, "When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade."  But my favorite is from the Bible, the best book of adages to live by.  Romans 8:28 states, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." I find hope in that statement when things aren't working out as I planned. In fact how often do they go accordingly?
    The past two weeks have completely reaffirmed my faith in God's awesome Word. After my daughter was diagnosed with pneumonia at urgent care, the day after my son was having breathing difficulties and finally admitted for pneumonia the day after that. Trying to keep a four-year-old normally active little boy calm in a hospital bed for four days was excruciatingly painful to attempt. During this time though God was working his good.
     My pastor has been walking the congregation through the Book of Acts for a while. As a result, evangelizing, spreading God's message throughout has been weighing heavily on me. I want to share God's love, but I'm not one to just start preaching. I know that's not the only way to, but nonetheless sharing seemed scary. I prayed for God to present an opportunity for me to share. Did he ever! Where else, but at the hospital.  He hears our prayers, cares and answers.
     The first trip to the ER was when it happened. As Jacob and I sat on the infamous "asthma chair," another lady with her son was seated beside us for similar difficulties.  As we spoke, I realized this woman was having personal issues. I'll openly admit as a rather reserved person who enjoys her sleep,  being at the hospital at night, while your husband is at work and your other kids are elsewhere falling to sleep without you, is emotionally difficult. Yet, there I sat feeling prompted to reach out. How though?
     I ended up giving this woman a business-like card with one of my favorite Bible verses on it. Let me note, I had recently bought these cards, a hundred to be exact, knowing the opportunity could present itself at any time. Isaiah 40:31 "But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." My heart was leaping, not out of joy, but terror. I thought "What if she laughs at me and my Savior?" And then the glorious peace of God washed over me. The Spirit within assured me it was for Him and whether she rejected it or not was not my concern.
    I handed this card to her, letting her know this verse helps me during turbulent times. She looked at it and put it in her wallet. Okay, I did it Lord, I'm done. I sat there wondering what she was really thinking. Was she looking at me as a nut or something better?
     As the nurse wheeled her son away to admit him to the hospital, this woman turned to me and thanked me. Not only did she thank me, but said she really needed that. The look in her eyes told me all I needed to know. I stepped out in faith during a time I could have inexcusably been timid out of exhaustion and concern for my son. Instead, I took a stand for my Jesus and was rewarded with love. How sweet is that lemonade?

No comments:

Post a Comment