Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book Review: Still a Christian

     The Jesus Inquest: The Case For and Against the Resurrection of the Christ by Charles Foster was given to me to review by BookSneeze on behalf of Thomas Nelson Publishing. Foster, a lawyer in Britain by trade, sets out to give evidence as an opponent for the resurrection and subsequently writes as a proponent. The intent is to give unbiased opposing views, though the fight in Foster seems stronger as he opposes Christianity's claim.
     As I read The Jesus Inquest it dawned on me that possibly he was playing devil's advocate more intently on purpose. Two-thirds into the book Foster remarks that Christians can continue their church attendance. I suppose when someone realizes their beliefs rest on fallacies they argue more adamantly.
      At times I found myself going back to the Bible and remembering when the New Testament speaks of the overwhelming belief in fallacies and lies in the Last Days. Foster did not write this book for those weak in their faith. I would never attempt to hand a new convert a book as the mind can be so gullible when they aren't spiritually mature. I have to remark though that the evidence for Christ's resurrection is set down so pointedly and decisively, exhausting monologues and spinning facts aren't necessary for the believer. Many of the opponent's attempts at evidence are long-winded and pure tall tales at their best.
      The Jesus Inquest is enjoyable at times and can become frustrating at others. The arguments draw you in as some are very imaginative. Foster has enabled my faith to progress as it exercised my belief system. Christ's resurrection is the crux that Christianity rests upon and for that I am assured.

No comments:

Post a Comment