Monday, August 1, 2011

Book Review: Gear Up with This Book

     Bethany House Publishers sent me a courtesy copy of Spiritual Warfare for Women: Winning the Battle for Your Home, Family, and Friends in exchange for a review. Leighann McCoy, author, is a straight-talking, to-the-point lady who wants to empower women with God's spiritual armor for when the enemy attacks. She particularly wants to engage the enemy when women are prone to listen and take heed to those inner whisperings that they aren't measuring up, that they aren't good enough to be the daughter of an awesome King. This book is filled with God's Word and fictional stories to relate some of the verses more definitively to  a woman. The latter fourth of the book she informs us how to keep our defenses up and shows women that victory is ours.
      Spiritual Warfare for Women consists of four parts in a bit over two hundred pages. McCoy connects to the reader as she underscores her own battles that she has encountered. If it wasn't for her personal accounts I would find her book a little more difficult to digest. I wasn't brought up to believe in Satan; it has only been in the last few years when I finally submitted my will to the Lord's that I have seen the enemy at work. That being said, the more stringent points were still uncomfortable subject matter for me, though I do agree with them.
      McCoy as a pastor's wife, knowing the talk of Satan is often taboo, emphasizes the need for believers to be aware of their spiritual surroundings. The church doesn't need believers running around in ignorance. The Bible pointedly declares that we are indeed engaged in spiritual warfare. Hats off to Mrs. McCoy for standing her ground! "Because you are a child of the King, you are a target for attack."
      Anytime I pick up a book that even remotely implies that the subject matter is of a darker nature I start cautiously. Due to the fictional stories and the personal accounts of the author I did warm up to the book. I ended up with a lot more dog-eared pages than I imagined. Spiritual Warfare for Women isn't a book for everyone, though it should be. Some ladies just may not be ready for the heavy subject matter. I do hope that if you are ready for battle that you draw on God's power and engage the enemy!

To purchase from Barnes & Noble Bookstores click here:
    
     

No comments:

Post a Comment